What is Fatherhood?

Happy Father's Day!!!

We live in a time when guidance for children is absolutely necessary. Therefore, it imperative that we understand that one of the most important roles of Father is that of a guide.  The essence of fatherhood involves responsibility, commitment, self-sacrifice, unconditional love and integrity from a man who is actively involved in the lives of his children and are aware of their needs. It is for this reason that absent Fathers leave a void in the lives of their children.  If we use Jesus as our example, He deeply respected His Father to the point that He said that "I do only what I see my Father do."  John 5:19 says, "Then answered Jesus and said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, The Son can do nothing of himself, but what he seeth the Father do: for what things soever he doeth, these also doeth the Son likewise."  God is the highest and premier example of a Father, so much so that Jesus could literally follow His example fully during the course of His life and ministry here on earth.

In the natural, we see the epitome of a father in Abraham.  His character as a father was established so strong until God Himself said "I know Abraham."  Genesis 18:19 says, "For I know him, that he will command his children and his household after him, and they shall keep the way of the LORD, to do justice and judgment; that the LORD may bring upon Abraham that which he hath spoken of him."  The conversation that was framed here is clearly about children and the future of a nation. God knew that Abraham would lead his children and teach his children to follow after him in righteousness, and become men and women of faith.

As Fathers we have been given the responsibility of shaping the next generation of men and women of God as is clearly stated in the book of Malachi where God challenged the fathers of Israel to understand that their purpose was to raise up godly seed.  Malachi 2:15, "And did not he make one? Yet had he the residue of the spirit. And wherefore one? That he might seek a godly seed. Therefore take heed to your spirit, and let none deal treacherously against the wife of his youth.”

A father holds the key to how his son will treat a woman and how his daughter will understand a man.  None of this discussion suggests that the mother is not important, but it does suggest that the man must be present in order to bring proper balance to the seed or children that spring from a marital relationship.  Jacob and Esau are also classic examples of two young men who sought the blessing of their father. It was important to that generation that they not only honor, but also receive the good wishes and blessing of their father.

Finally, Shem and Japheth, Noah's sons, honored their father.  Even though Noah had made a mistake they walked backwards and covered him.  It is obvious that Noah had done some things right because at least two of his son’s recognized what it meant to love and respect a father.

On this father’s day I am encouraging everyone to respect and honor your father, even the ones who may not have been perfect.  The Bible says honor both your father and mother that your days may be long upon the earth.  There is a blessing linked to honoring the man you call father.

Thank you for taking time to read this blog post. Please share your comments and let us know how it has impacted change in your life for the better. Click on this link now to sow a simple seed offering of $25 or any amount into the ministry today.  Your contribution is greatly appreciated.  http://www.mpoweringlives.com/Online-Giving.html

22 Comments to What is Fatherhood?:

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Friday, June 06, 2014 4:29 PM
In honor of my husband and father of our three sons, Apostle Stanley Williams, Sr., it is a blessing to participate and share my thoughts regarding this particular blog. A father care, sacrifices, and takes responsibility for his children's upbringing and welfare to ensure that they are raised in the fear and admonition of the Lord. Many men can impregnate a female and have a baby, but not every man has the spirit of a father to impart the wisdom of God into His children and demonstrate a Godly lifestyle before them. The Bible instructs us to acknowledge and honor our fathers that our days may be ling upon the earth, and in doing so I want to honor my husband for having a father's heart for our sons, and also for the people of God. Thank you for pouring out of your wisdom, care, instruction, correction and love towards everyone God has placed in your life. You have made a mark that cannot be erased. May God bless you 1000 times more for all of your labor of love. I also honor my natural father for raising me in the reverential fear and instruction of the Lord. Your impartation will never be taken for granted or forgotten. I love you both!!!

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Monday, June 09, 2014 4:42 PM
I want to thank the love of my life for such beautiful words. It is my honor to be both a husband to my wife and a father to my son's, both my wife and my son's have been the greatest joys of my life. I never knew my earthly Father so I understand the void that can be created by a man's absence in children's lives. It is for this reason that I owe God so much because the little I do know about being a father came from Him.

Toiya Moffatt on Sunday, June 08, 2014 5:32 PM
Many unfortunately will never know what it means to have a true biological father active in their lives, but God did not leave us without hope for we all have a father in Him. It is through God that a true father is fashioned, so it is through Him that a man is instructed on how to; protect,love,provide for and validate his seed. Fathers, no matter what role they have played in our lives, are important. Think of it in this way, one planted a seed,perhaps this is your father who is not present, one watered, a surrogate or spiritual father, but one will bring forth the increase, our Father in Heaven. Thank you Apostle Stan for this beautiful blog and for setting an example of what a true father ought to be. God bless you Apostles.

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Monday, June 09, 2014 4:44 PM
It is true that many may never know their earthly father's but thank God for our heavenly Father who will never leave nor forsake us.

Nikki Godbolt on Sunday, June 08, 2014 10:51 PM
I honor God for todays blog, because the role of Fatherhood is tremendously important. I believe that every child needs their father in their life. And some fathers may not be perfect, but there are things that we can still learn from them, what to do and from some, what not to do. However, wither they are saved or not they still deserve to be honored and loved. My father done the best he knew how and I honor God for blessing me with Walker Godbolt Jr. I love you dad and I always will, and I honor God for Apostle Stanley D. Williams a true Father in the Father. Kingdom Blessings to you. Always remember what you didn't receive from your earthly father, God will make up the difference. Shalom!!!

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Monday, June 09, 2014 4:48 PM
There is truly no one like God, He alone is able to do far more than we could ever think or imagine. God became to me the Father that I never had and even though there are gaps God always comes through for me. I can truly say that many days I long for relationship with my earthly father but unfortunately he passed from the scene many years ago. I have never known him but I do know God, that is my joy.

Candice Mimms on Monday, June 09, 2014 1:50 PM
Focusing on the statement, “There is a blessing linked to honoring the man you call father”…I was thinking about the importance of honoring our heavenly Father God, as well as, our earthly father. Just as you highlighted the respect Jesus had for the Father, we can understand how to walk as Jesus did by honoring our heavenly Father and our earthly father. As I get older I realize more and more how important fathers are. The role of a father is so unique and powerful. Biologically speaking, a father has the ability to plant seed/life before the child is created in the womb of the mother. This is powerful because from the time of conception and throughout the child’s existence, a father has the ability to create life. This is just one of the many ways God has shown Himself, His glory and His power through the creation of mankind. Nothing can take the place of a father’s love. I believe it’s not only important for a child to witness the love a father, but it’s important for the mother to witness the father’s love for his children. Society would be so different if more fathers were present. Within my own family I’ve learned so much through the love and direction provided by my husband. Even though our children are young, I can recognize that my husband’s God-given guidance toward our children is shaping them reference God. I thank God for my father, Jeffrey Majors. I find so much comfort in knowing he’s there for me. I find so even more faith in God knowing his journey in life and understanding how God is using him today. I thank God for my spiritual father, Apostle Stanley Williams, who has helped shape our family with speaking God’s wisdom over our lives. And I’m so grateful to witness my husband, Travis Mimms, father our children and continually guide our family through understanding and direction provided by God.

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Monday, June 09, 2014 4:55 PM
It never amazes me how God can place such wisdom in someone so young. Your understanding of the role of a father is very profound. I totally concur that a father brings so much to the equation of family, it is absolutely invaluable to have this contribution. I pray for fathers all over the world that they would grasp the importance of their contribution and how society will prosper because of them. This is a true question coming from a father to father's, the question is "where are the father's"?

Pamela wright on Monday, June 09, 2014 11:23 PM
I lost my father at a young age but I remember growing up just always wanting to know him and needing him. I think God for you Apostle Stanly William I Love and honor Douglas Russell Sr.

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Friday, June 13, 2014 12:42 PM
While it is of the utmost importance that we know our earthly fathers it is also equally as important that we know our heavenly Father. I thank God above all things that God was there for me when my earthly father wasn't, in like respect God will be there for all of those who trust in Him.

Travis Mimms on Tuesday, June 10, 2014 9:32 PM
As a father I understand the journey of a man into fatherhood. Fathers are leaders and leaders are formed through fire. The role of a father is very important. He serves as the priest, king, and prophet of the family. Many young men and young women look at their father as their identity. The hearts of the children are turned towards their father. If the father is removed from the family the children may face an identity crisis. As a result, we see young men joining gangs, running the streets, in jail, or dead at a very young age. Likewise young women dating strange men, out on the streets, stripping, selling their bodies, and doing things that they wouldn't otherwise do if they had a loving/caring father in their lives. However, not all children follow that path. For example, at a young age, my father left our family. At 8yrs old I asked God to be my Father and I knew exactly what I was asking. I praise God for the spirit of a Father. No matter what our earthly fathers do, God is the Father of fathers. With that knowledge I find my identity in Him. So many others learn from mistakes and decide to be a positive role model for their children and others. Fathers are not perfect but Love is. Fatherhood is servant hood, "the greatest among you shall be the servant of all". Awesome blog on Fatherhood sir, and blessings to you as a father in the faith!

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:44 AM
Wow, Min. Travis your comments are absolutely on target. You have an amazingly focused and correct understanding of what fatherhood is and also what the absence of proper fatherhood produces. Thank you for sharing your insight and experience with us. God bless you!!!

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Friday, June 13, 2014 12:51 PM
Thank you Minister Travis for your insight in the area of fatherhood. It is evident not only from your comments but also from your life that you have been tremendously impacted by God the Father. Your life is and example to young men and women that even if your earthly father fails in his responsibilities God is able to step in and keep you. The Bible in deed is true when it states the following words: Psalms 27:10, "When my father and my mother forsake me, then the LORD will take me up." Thank God that He is there to be a Father to the fatherless.

J.D. Smith on Wednesday, June 11, 2014 7:44 PM
God Bless you sir for an on Time & on Target word. The Word of God says you have many instructors but few fathers. Just as in the natural it only takes a little time - whether its seconds, minutes or hours - to become a 'father' vs being a FATHER. The difference is one is there for a moments pleasure and either takes off or is totally disengaged he is as gone. Whereas someone with a real & true heart of Man, Husband, & Father who is Accountable & responsible to, before & with God, his wife & children. So many men are as Jesus would say are "hirelings", they abandoned their flock in the face of the enemy vs the good shepherd who lays down his life for his flock. A man who sees to the wants, needs & desires of his wife & kids before himself or his friends. Stand up and thank God for His Fatherhood thru Himself & that of His Son, Christ Jesus who is the Husband of the Church and as a Husband He too is a Father to us as well. Celebrate the Fathers in your life be they natural ones or spiritual ones...cause you sure didn't get here by yourself! And you need the wisdom, love and correction/discipline/rebuke of a father in order to make it. Choose this day whether you'll be fathered by God/Godly fathers & father yours by that example or will you choose to let RELIGION - BE IT CHURCHY TYPE OR WORLDLY TYPE (AIN'T NO DIFFERENCE BETWEEN THOSE IN MY BOOK)THEREBY MAKING YOURSELF AND THOSE YOU FATHER NATURALLY OR SPIRITUALLY TWICE THE SON OF HELL YOU'LL BECOME. Think & pray about it & MAN UP!!!!

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Thursday, June 12, 2014 9:51 AM
Elder JD Smith, thank you so much for contributing and sharing your comments on this very important subject with us. They are so accurate and true. I was truly blessed to read your perspective on what fatherhood is and what it isn't, especially the point that you made about religion. Your comments really reflect the fact that you are a Word Man who has a very good comprehension of Scripture and Spiritual things. Praise God & Have a Very Happy Father's Day!!!

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Friday, June 13, 2014 1:03 PM
I thank God for you Elder Smith because not only have I seen these things to be true in your words, but your life as a servant and son in the Lord have borne out your commitment. Paul was right when he said we all have many teacher but we do not all have many fathers in the faith. It is extremely important to honor the father's in our lives, God says to honor them that is enough for me. Ephesians 6:1-3, "Children, obey your parents in the Lord: for this is right. Honour thy father and mother; (which is the first commandment with promise) That it may be well with thee, and thou mayest live long on the earth."

Nancyah Cummings on Thursday, June 12, 2014 11:36 AM
Thank you Apostle Stanley for those Words of Wisdom concerning fathers. I grew up in a home where my father was definitely the head,and he truly set the example for us on how we should live our lives and his words still are in my heart today. He truly showed the love of God through his life at all times. He respected our mother and to this very day I have never heard my mother speak any ill against him and she is 84 years old. He brought us up in the fear and reverence of the Lord and taught through his life to always respect ourselves and others and to always be people of intergrity and honor. To me a father is just like God. One who will give any and everything to protect and save his children no matter what he has to do as long as he does it with honor and integrity. He is one who always carries the weight of the family on his shoulders. One who encourages his children to do their best and do whatever he can to help them reach their goal. He will be awake while they are asleep petitioning God on their behalf. I remember that my father use to sit out on the porch late at night and just be out there by himself. I understood later as an adult what he was doing. He was talking to his maker. It was his quiet time. He spent quite a lot of time out on the porch. I know of a surety that my dad walked with strength, honor, integrity, fairness, truth, unselfishness and pureness of heart. When he left this Earth I have no doubts that he is living JAMES 1:12, "Blessed is the one who perserves under trial because having stood the test that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love Him." A father is also one who like God covers and protects his family and guides them through all obstacles as they are growing up. When they grow up the parenting does not stop no matter how old the children get as long as daddy is alive they will always need him and will still be observing and learning from him. Therefore, it is imperative that fathers know and walk in this scripture PSALMS 1:1-3 1 Blessed is the man that walketh not in the counsel of the ungodly, nor standeth in the way of sinners, nor sitteth in the seat of the scornful. 2 But his delight is in the law of the Lord; and in his law doth he meditate day and night. 3 And he shall be like a tree planted by the rivers of water, that bringeth forth his fruit in his season; his leaf also shall not wither; and whatsoever he doeth shall prosper. God bless you and your family Apostle Stanley and Happy early Fathers Day, Amen

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Friday, June 13, 2014 1:11 PM
God bless you Lady Nancyah,I thank God for a father who stood with his children, who prayed to his God and who fulfilled his responsibilities. it is truly and inspiration to hear such a great testimony. Having met you and spent time with you I know that he fulfilled his role in your life. May God continue to raise you and bless your fathers memory through your life.

ANGELIA PATTERSON WILLIAMS on Thursday, June 12, 2014 8:48 PM
I first want to give Honor to my Fathers, I think them for the values and morals they given me.To you Apostle Stanley Williams may Gods Favor continue to cover and keep you,you Mighty Man of Valor. As your spiritual Daughter Ive watched you Preach it and Walk it out, giving unselfishly you and Apostle Beth I came to you a single mother of 4 with one on the way and the love yall gave.... my, my, my, to this day hold me. In his word, God said he would take care of the Widow and the Fatherless I grab hold of that and thru your teaching I did it. Amen Keep doing what you do.I can go on and on, just know on this early Fathers Day I wish you the Best. I love you guys and Thanks Glory be to the Most High Amen

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Friday, June 13, 2014 1:17 PM
God bless you also Sister Angie, you have always been a true daughter in the faith. Your love and encouragement has been and is a source of value and strength to both Apostle Beth and I. You are an example of what a daughter is supposed to be, may everyone you meet see your example and follow. You are the best, may God bless you forever.

Apostle Billy L Dorsey Sr on Saturday, June 14, 2014 10:01 AM
When I think of fatherhood and what it means to be a dad, I always go first to the ultimate Father, Jehovah God! Then I think of Jesus' words to husbands, I have words of wisdom to live by. Father's Day 2014 has America at a crossroads, because fewer and fewer men are stepping up to be the godly fathers/dads that God requires and society needs. We could empty out the prisons and jails if more men would MAN UP and handle their business as fathers. In fact, statistics say more of our daughters would become high school and college graduates and wives, if men would step up with their daughters. The Body of Christ must lead the way in training and equipping great fathers, husbands, and male role models. I am the product of having so many strong men in my life from my father, to my older brothers, to my uncles, and godly men in my life from childhood till now. Today, I'm in the role with the responsibility to help train up young men to be great fathers/dads and be present and active in the lives of their children. If I can inspire young men (and I do) to step into and embrace the role of father/dad, I know the next generation will be better equipped than my generation and those that came before. One of my highest titles is that of Father/Daddy. Praise God. I end with a simple prayer that God will open the eyes of every man and make them men of vision and men with a heart tender to God, the family, and their children.

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Saturday, June 14, 2014 6:15 PM
I want to thank you Apostle Dorsey for participating in this months blog, and I highly concur with your remarks. It is absolutely true that if more fathers would step up and take their rightful place american society would be greatly impacted. I join with you in your prayer that God would open the eyes of men to their responsibility as fathers.