The Price of Freedom

When you carefully consider the freedom that we enjoy everyday, you have to consider how it came into being.  How did we get the ability to speak our minds, gather together in religious worship without fear of reprisal or imprisonment, and the right to defend ourselves and our families from those who would cause us harm.  Many nations around the world do not have the kind of freedom or liberty that we enjoy everyday.  In fact, if they considered speaking out or meeting together for Christian oriented worship services they would be imprisoned or even killed.

I am reminded of the historical account of the American Revolution that began in 1775 when thirteen colonies fought to break away from the British Empire and from what they viewed as the tyrannical government of King George III.  What happened at Valley Forge was nothing short of amazing during the winter of 1777 when provisions for the Continental army were very short, so much so that men were cutting up their boots to eat the leather. They were facing starvation and thinking of deserting the army because there were no supplies or food, and dozens did leave. General George Washington began to pray for God's divine intervention to bless and protect his army.  As a result, they woke up one morning and discovered that the river seemed to be boiling due to the migration of new fish.  There were so many that they were were able to literally scoop them up with their hands.  It provided them with enough food for the rest of the winter, and saved the army from starvation. It also kept them intact into the spring.  As a result, Washington was able to make a surprise attack against the British which forced the collapse of their army in the spring.  Washington wasn't just a natural commander, but he was known as a leader in prayer.  Although Thomas Jefferson wrote and Congress unanimously approved the Declaration of Independence in 1776, it was the prayers of a commanding officer and others like him that made a remarkable difference in causing this great nation to be firmly established.

In World War II, it is also reported that at times when the soldiers became very frightened, more than 72 percent of them turned to prayer as their primary source of strength and motivation.  Craig Wansink, a religion professor at Virginia Western College and one of the authors of a study of World War II soldiers found that what was most remarkable was that the soldiers became more reliant upon prayer in time of great distress and fear, even more than their reliance upon going home to their love ones or their ideals.

As the wife of a retired member of the United States Armed Forces, I can remember praying with military members over the past 27 years in times when a fallen soldier was being honored and his family consoled, or when an officer's plane had been shot down over enemy territory and God blessed him to be rescued and returned safely back home to his wife and children.  I've also prayed many times for troops being deployed into hostile territory during wartime.  I have personally witnessed the power of prayer at work in protecting these courageous men and women while they were in some of the most dangerous situations anyone could ever face.  It's a distinct honor to assist these heroes in any way that I can recognizing the enormous contribution they have made for our country over 238 years.  I thank God for America, and pray that He blesses us as a people to always remember the sacrifices that have been made to provide the freedoms that we enjoy everyday.

Most of all, we always want thank God for His grace and mercy for allowing us to be citizens of this great Republic called the United States of America, the home of the brave, and the land of the free.  Think about your own personal life, and your ability to pray, worship and express your opinion on matters of importance to you.  Please feel free to share your comments of gratitude and appreciation for those who serve in uniform.  I want to personally thank James D. Smith, Sr. a distinguished veteran of the United States Air Force for your contribution to our community blog.  God bless you and God bless America!

15 Comments to The Price of Freedom:

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Friday, July 05, 2013 11:59 AM
It is truly a blessing to live in a country where freedom of speech, freedom of assembly and freedom in general is honored. These precious freedoms have been bought by the blood and sacrifice of men and women through out the centuries. Men and women who have fought, sacrificed and even died, men and women of courage and valor. I will forever be grateful for these great freedoms. Each time I stand up to preach the gospel I am reminded this freedom I have isn't free but it cost. I honor the precious lives of the men and women who have been separated from their families, who have died and who have stood through sometimes treacherous conditions for me. To heroes that have fallen and to heroes who stand may God this day bless you and yours for your valor and sacrifice. To those who have stood on foreign soil and held ground that we may have our freedoms you are our heroes. To those who have stood through fear, exhaustion and hope of returning to your love ones, God's speed my friends. This country owes you a debt of gratitude that is difficult to repay but I pray that these words of encouragement will at least be and earnest for your dedication and sacrifice. Heroes all! This is the price of freedom!

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Friday, July 05, 2013 12:51 PM
Chief Apostle, thank you for sharing your words and expression of gratitude for the sacrifices that our servicemen and women have made for our great nation. I also want to thank you for your service and the years of sacrifice that you have made also. May the Lord continue to bless you, and enable you to fulfill His will for your life.

Katrina Madden on Saturday, July 06, 2013 11:40 AM
Thank you for reminding us of the price that was paid for our freedom. I sometimes wonder if I were faced with the starvation, death, persecution, or torture would I be able to endure for freedoms sake? It took God given strength for them to endure. I thank God for empowering other who didn't even know me to fight for my freedom. I thank God for the men and women who fight today, whether in our Armed Forces, government, or those that are speaking for a Just Cause so that I may continue to have freedom.

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Saturday, July 06, 2013 1:34 PM
Katrina, thank you for sharing from your insight and perspective with us. I was particularly intrigued by what you said about people who "didn't even know" you who fought for your freedom. That's a perspective that is all too often forgotten. I believe that if more of us began to show our gratitude and appreciation for those who put themselves in harms way and are willing to pay the ultimate price so that we can continue to live in a free country; or even remember those who have paid a great price for us to have eternal life and spiritual freedom, the world would be a much better place. God bless you Katrina, and thank you for sharing with us.

Latresa on Sunday, July 07, 2013 12:59 AM
It is truly a blessing to live in this great country! I would like to thank all who risk their lives to serve and protect it! God Bless!

Dr. Bethtina Williams on Monday, July 08, 2013 2:19 PM
Latresa, thank you for sharing your comments on our community blog. God bless you!

Candice Mimms on Monday, July 08, 2013 8:36 PM
This past Independence Day, I was able to view beautiful fireworks. Throughout the presentation of the bright lights I began to reflect on the many courageous and honorable individuals who stood up for the equality of all. I noticed a correlation between freedom and fireworks. As the fireworks appeared in the darkness with a great and mighty sound I noticed how the initiation of freedom in America brought forth a mighty sound by showing the light of God. I thank God that He’s allowed us to have freedom. It was always God’s intention for us to live in liberty in conjunction with His plan and purposes for our lives.

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 10:56 PM
Candice, thank you for sharing your comments on "The Price of Freedom" with us. Even greater than the fireworks display on Independence Day or the 4th of July, God commands us to let our light so shine for Him that men may see our good works and glorify our Father which is in heaven. (Matthew 5:16) It is when we allow the power of God's image and wisdom flow through us before others that will bring true lasting and eternal freedom from the bondage and oppression of the wicked one.

Toiya Moffatt on Sunday, July 14, 2013 3:27 AM
Of all the freedoms that have been afforded to me, the freedom to pray and meditate on the word of God are my most treasured. Prayer not only signifies a position of freedom in God but it also paves the way for the liberation of others in any area where deliverance is needed. I must also pay honor to our military troops who continually fight to protect this nation and our right to pray freely without the fear of harsh retaliation.

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:14 PM
Min. Toiya, you're absolutely correct. The highest degree of freedom is spiritual freedom and our ability to talk to God in prayer, because nothing and no one can take the freedom of relationship with God away. It is this kind of freedom through salvation and deliverance from the power of sin that that everyone should desire and embrace. It is this freedom, from sin, that we should share with as many souls as possible. God bless you.

Marsha Wilson on Monday, July 15, 2013 11:19 AM
I thank God for the freedom we have in these United States of America, and for the sacrifice that men and women past and present have made and continue to make. It is because of God's sovereign grace upon this nation and the stance that our forefathers took that I am able to contribute to this blog today. Within each generation there have been men, women, boys, and girls who have fought for liberty, equality, fairness, and against injustices. A great price has been paid and I don't take that lightly. The baton has been passed and it's with prayer & supplication, determination & strength, and our faith in God that we'll finish the course!

Apostle Bethtina Williams on Tuesday, July 16, 2013 11:40 PM
Marsha, thank you for sharing your insight and comments with us on the blog. When I consider the great price that has been paid by many men and women over the centuries, it is a travesty when you see those freedoms being abused, ignored and dishonored. Freedom is extremely costly, especially in terms of the sacrifice of lives given for it's establishment. Our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ paid the greatest price anyone could ever pay to save our souls and give us freedom from death, hell and the grave. It is this price that history records as the great exchange. "He became poor that we might be rich." (2 Corinthians 8:9)

TRACIE FIELDS on Wednesday, July 17, 2013 5:54 PM
I am thankful for the freedom we have in this country and give thanks to God for the men and women who serve this country in our armed forces to protect this freedom. Most importantly I am thankful for Jesus Christs ultimate sacrifice on the cross which gives us a way to total freedom in our lives through Him. Everyone in the world is not able to freely and openly worship and pray and for that I am thankful that I live in a country that gives me that freedom. However because of the freedom that Christs gives even those that are not allowed to openly pray can reach Him in their hearts and pray to Him in secret and get results. The freedom that Christ provides us is the most important freedom we have.

ppm tools on Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:22 AM

Pharma Wholesalers on Tuesday, July 30, 2013 1:49 AM
That's the very nice post you have shared with us. I really liked it. Please keep sharing more and more information.