Discipline the Key to Great Achievement!

Imagine the possibilities of what extraordinary achievements lie ahead of you in light of your dreams, vision and greatest aspirations in life. Have you considered what it will take to get you there? Have you considered the possibilities associated with seeing it come to pass?

Think about Albert Einstein, who helped develop the quantum theory of mechanics and discovered the law of "photoelectric effect", for which he was awarded the Nobel Prize in physics.  Eintstein also developed both the famous special and general theories of relativity (E=mc²), which revolutionized and launched the scientific field into a new era of discovery.  Also consider the brilliance of George Washington Carver, who is perhaps the one of the most recognized inventors of the 19th Century for discovering three hundred uses for peanuts and hundreds of uses for pecans, sweet potatoes and soybeans.  He also invented the crop rotational method in agriculture which helped farmers to conserve nutrients in the soil.  Carver invented dyes of 500 different shades from agricultural crops, invented the process of producing paints and stains from soybeans, and worked along with Henry Ford to develop synthesized rubber from soybean.  George Washington Carver was and is one of the greatest African Americans in history.  Then, there is Dr. Benjamin Carson, who overcame poverty, poor grades, deep seeded anger and prejudice to become one of the world's leading neorosurgeons.  The true life story of Dr. Carson is as inspirational as the phenomenal impact and contribution he has made in the field of brain surgery.  As a youth, he was encouraged by his mother to work diligently to overcome  difficulties in learning to "grow his imagination, intelligence and most importantly, his belief in himself." His faith, determination and self-imposed discipline led him to the highest heights as a global leader in neuro-surgery.  At the age of 33, Dr. Carson became the youngest physician to ever head a major division at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore, Maryland.   He received much recognition for performing and mastering ground-breaking surgical procedures for over 30 years.  Dr. Carson has consistently used his dedication and God-given talent to take on seemingly impossible operations, giving children hope for a second chance at a healthy and normal life.

The examples of these three profound individuals should encourage and inspire everyone to dream big and pursue those dreams diligently and with great passion and discipline.  Each of these men were committed to discipline in giving their best efforts, energy and attention to their gift and perspective fields of expertise.  Discipline is defined by Webster's Dictionary as orderly conduct or a pattern of behavior, a system of rules governing conduct or activity, and training that perfects the mental and moral character of an individual.  When a person is committed to discipline towards a particular vision, interest or activity he or she will excel and succeed.

In the Bible, the Apostle Paul was disciplined, passionate, and committed to his divine purpose in sharing the "good news" and message of the Kingdom of God to the Gentiles.  As a result, Paul impacted the entire known world of his day.  He wrote two-thirds of the New Testament, and successfully finished his heavenly calling.  At the very end of his life he spoke these powerful words found in 2 Timothy 4:7, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith..."  Paul withstood tremendous persecution from the Jews, but it did not stop him from accomplishing his purpose because knew what he was chosen to do, and pursued it with all of his might.  I want to encourage you with these words which the Apostle Paul spoke concerning his determination, attitude and discipline towards fulfilling God's will for his life.

"Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,  I press toward the mark for the prize of the high calling of God in Christ Jesus.  Let us therefore, as many as be perfect, be thus minded..."
Philippians 3:13-15

My friend, keep the faith, believe that you can do it, keep your vision and goals before you every day, and pursue them with great passion, determination and discipline.  I leave you with the words of my mentor, Dr. Cindy Trimm, "There's no such thing as a hopeless situation.  Things can change for the better, and you can live the life of your dreams."

Feel free to share your comments.  We look forward to hearing from you.

25 Comments to Discipline the Key to Great Achievement!:

Nikki Godbolt on Monday, September 19, 2011 9:53 PM
Wow, Dr. Williams, those are the words I needed to hear! When I think about these individuals that you mentioned, I can only imagine the many obstacles and storms that came their way but they kept on pressing, they never gave up! No matter who stood with them, or who left them. No matter who believed in them or who didn't, they never stopped pressing forward. I believe that we need Jesus and determination to succeed at life! The word of God says that we can do all things through Christ who strengthens us! God didn't put any limits on it! We just have to know what we want according to the will of God for our lives and go get it! Become "that", whatever that is! When I think about Philippians 3:13-15, I think about Jesus, for no matter what he went through and no matter what he faced, no matter who stood with him or who abandon him, no matter who loved him, and no matter who hated him, no matter who prayed for him, and no matter who fell asleep on him when he needed them most, he kept pressing towards his destiny. Jesus kept pressing because of the joy that was set before him! And not only did He accomplish his mission but he got what he wanted most and that was to be back with his Father in Heaven! Jesus was disciplined in his prayer and fasting, in his relationship with God, in teaching and training others concerning the Kingdom and in fulfilling his purpose in this earth! I believe there are many things I will do and accomplish here in this earth, but my greatest desire is to hear my Father say, "Well done thou good and faithful servant, enter into my rest."! Thank you Dr. Williams may God bless you beyond your dreams! Love ya and God Bless You!

Dr Bethtina Williams on Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:21 PM
Nikki, thank you so much for sharing your heartfelt comments on this week's blog. They are as profound as you are as a person of faith, and I always look forward to hearing from you and reading your wonderful insights. God bless you.

Min. Carol Thomas on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 10:16 AM
This really blessed me in the midst of what I am encountering right now in ministry. Thank you for the word of encouragement. May God bless you.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:23 PM
Carol, thank you once again for sharing your comments with us on this week's blog. I am glad to know that it is a blessing to you. God bless you.

Toiya Moffatt on Wednesday, September 21, 2011 7:26 PM
Dr.Beth these words aren't only encouraging,uplifting and insightful, but they are clearly factual in both the spiritual and natural scope of things. We as the people created by God, need this type of reminder before us daily, because life, as I myself have experienced, often times will throw a "wrench" into things to throw us off focus,off balance and often times out of the mindset and perception of faith and belief, not necessarily in what we can do by our own strength but what we have been designed to be capable or able to do through Jesus Christ. Something that I have implemented into my own life and have found to be successful even now as I continue to fulfill "God's Call" on my life is, whenever I begin to feel as if I am becoming discouraged, overwhelmed and anxious, I stop and meditate on the word of God and remember that all that I do is for his glory. When I focus on this concept first rather than the task at hand it keeps me encouraged in knowing that God is the only one I know with a sure 100 percent success rate. God bless you.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:25 PM
Toiya, I appreciate your comments and know that God will enable you to fulfill His higher calling and purpose for your life as you remain focused and disciplined in pursuit of what He has ordained for you. Kingdom blessings!

Marsha Wilson on Thursday, September 22, 2011 7:50 PM
Dr. Beth thank you for this weeks blog, nowadays many people (myself included) are wearing so many different hats and are involved with many different activities, discipline is definitely a "must have" key! Discipline brings about stabilization and helps to maintain the course in which we are set on. I've learned through the years that I will not achieve the type of success I envision without discipline, determination, consistency, and focus. God bless you and keep doing what you're doing!

Tracie Fields on Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:34 PM
Sis Marsha you said it all when you said consistency. It's like the two words belong together consistent discipline.

Toiya Moffatt on Monday, September 26, 2011 6:32 PM
Yes,you both are unquestionably correct! We need discipline in maintaining the proper order in our lives and executing the task that will bring about the desired change.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:29 PM
Marsha, your expressions are so realistic and transparent. I truly enjoyed reading your comments because they are true to what so many people faced every day. My prayer is that you will always have to kind of discipline, focus and determination needed to take you all the way into the fulfillment of God's will for your life, and that your heart be satisfied and content in the end, that you have finished your course successfully in Christ's name. Kingdom Blessings!

Allen Wilson on Friday, September 23, 2011 4:11 PM
Pastor Beth these men and many more are excellent examples of what can be accomplish with discipline. Jesus commanded, "Go and Make Disciples". Disciples are Discipline Ones. With the help of the Holy Spirit we can be discipline and go make disciples. The making of a disciple is to be conformed into the image of God though sound teaching. The process of endurance makes disciples. We must discipline ourselves to endure sound teaching to be disciples. Then disciples make disciples (or more discipline ones) to advance the Kingdom of God on the earth.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Thursday, September 29, 2011 11:33 PM
Allen, thank you for continuing to share your wonderful insights and comments with us on the blog. It is true discipline is an integral part of what it means to be a "disciple". I thoroughly enjoyed how you brought that particular fact to bear in your comments. May God bless, reward and enrich you more and more as you continue to show forth the kind of discipline that the Bible teaches us.

Trace Fields on Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:31 PM
I see discipline as type of boundary to keep me focused on a task in order to see that it is completed. Discipline helps weed out distractions of any type that will keep one from reaching the desired result or to complete a task. Often times the task won't be completed by one but takes several people to discipline themselves in order to get something accomplished. There must be a vision and clear plan set before I can discipline myself to even begin anything. It certainly takes discipline to live out my dreams they are not just going to happen. I must be committed to being disciplined. Thank you as always for listening to the voice of God in order to show His people the ways to honor Him and be blessed.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Friday, September 30, 2011 12:16 AM
Trace, thank you for sharing your comments on this week's blog. My prayer is that God blesses you to overcome every distraction that would attempt to cause you to become side-tracked and that you are able to focus on your most important priotities one-by-one and accomplish them. God bless you.

Candice Mimms on Sunday, September 25, 2011 10:34 PM
Dr. Beth, I absolutely loved the way you presented the importance of discipline. Today, it appears within our society, we often think of discipline as a negative thing, when in actuality, discipline is far from being negative. Discipline can be described as a literal key to unlocking doors to success and prosperity. When looking into the individual’s lives mentioned in this week’s blog, I totally understood how they accomplished so much. Particularly, at an early age, Dr. Carson had limited viewing of television and his mother ensured he read two books weekly. His mother was focused on his purpose in life. She understood by limiting certain things within her child’s life, she would be allowing room for more productive things to enter.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Friday, September 30, 2011 12:23 AM
Candice, once again you've hit the bullseye right on target! I truly enjoy reading your comments. You are absolutely correct in your reflection of the kind of discipline that is necessary to achieve maximum results and accomplish one's goals and purpose. Discipline is required to stay focused and on target. Otherwise, you will end up in the wrong place, doing the wrong thing, at the worng time, and miss yoiur blessing altogether. I look forward to hearing from you again soon. Kingdom Blessings!

Kenya Bracey on Monday, September 26, 2011 5:22 PM
Dr. Beth, this message was right on time as I am trying to continue my education. Being discipline is important for it will allow you to accomplish those goals that you are trying to obtain in order to be successful in the area in which you are trying to go higher in. I definitely can benefit from this reading and I am highly encouraged to try and stick to my plan and discipline myself so that I don't allow the distractions to steal my joy. Thank you for the message and may God continue to bless you.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Friday, September 30, 2011 12:31 AM
Kenya, thank you for joining us for this week's blogg conversation. I'm am glad to have you as a member of our community. I know that others as well as myself understand exactly what you are saying in regards to the discipline required to complete your objective at the university level. Know that God has already given you every thing that pertains to this life and godliness. Therefore, all you have to do is follow His lead and finish the race with victory and triumph in Christ Jesus. God bless you.

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Wednesday, September 28, 2011 10:20 AM
The concept of discipline is one of the most important subjects as far as vision accomplishment is concerned. Vision is what you see in front of you but discipline and focus are how you accomplish vision. Vision by its very nature restrains because it eliminates all unnecessary objectives bringing total attention to itself. Note carefully the context of Proverbs 29:18: Pro 29:18 Where there is no vision, the people cast off restraint: but he that keepeth the law, happy is he. Notice if you will that when a person, nations or organization has vision they by the context of Proverbs 29:18 listed above are restrained. The opposite of restraint is being uncontrolled or rather out of control "to cast off restraint". vision by its very nature forms boundaries but it takes discipline and focus to stay within the boundaries for a sufficient amount time to actually accomplish major objectives. Any goal not tempered by discipline is a waist of time and energy. Discipline does not direct like vision but it channels as well as holds an individual, nation or organization within the boundaries set by vision. It is because of the lack of discipline that objectives are started but never finished. We often start well but move away from the major objectives that started us on our journey because of distractions. Discipline and knowing what you are called to do in life eliminates distractions which would draw you off of your vision track. Discipline is absolutely indispensable. Thank you Dr. Bethtina for some of the most awesome insight that I have seen in sometime.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Friday, September 30, 2011 12:40 AM
Apostle, Dr. Williams, I truly enjoy ready your blog comments each week. You have the most profound view of each subject at hand, and I especially like how you aligned vision with discipline and how it "forms boundaries" and eliminates all distractions so that we are focused on one achievement at a time. This is how great achievements are made, and objects are met. Again, thank you for joining me and for your continued support of our blog conversation. I love you Honey!

Clashena Riley on Saturday, October 29, 2011 1:04 PM
I believe that discipline is needed in every aspect of our lives. Being a great parent, spouse, child of God, employee, student,etc., it all takes discipline and dedication. My ultimate goal in life is to do the will of my Heavenly Father, this will require a lot of discipline because of all the challenges that comes along with desiring to do God's will. I am often motivated after thinking about this; if the enemy can be disciplined and dedicated to carry out his evil plans, I can surely be disciplined about my Father's will for my life and accomplishing my personal goals. Pastor Bethtina I appreciate the time and effort that you put forth in this particular blog, it's inspirational.......I Love you!!!!!

sony vaio vpcee3z0e/bq dvd drive on Friday, December 28, 2012 5:47 AM
I would LOVE to win some cake pops. Now that im on a "DIET" I deprived myself of purchasing any of your delicious cakes or cake pops at the last markets...but if I win some cake pops that isnt realy cheating on the diet is it??? YUM YUM YUM ... And I will share...PROMISE!!! xox

adres on Saturday, August 02, 2014 9:38 AM
Of tutorials - for those who selected a very good professional. Can help the well-chosen wall fabrics. Them will be porcelain tile

stron on Wednesday, August 06, 2014 8:39 AM
Between both why people love the bedroom mustn't be a conflict For case, the particular dvd is established for the canvas with the work and also the book

stron on Monday, August 18, 2014 1:36 PM
the placement that will be harmonized in the wants and also anticipation on the people People which are fans about food preparation will need a great deal variable foodstuff than those patients who hate pertaining to food preparation not to mention preparing