Setting Goals with Excellence!

Thank you for joining us for this week's Blog Segment.  Our goal is to help you to "maximize your potential and fulfill your destiny" by providing principles and solutions that help to sharpen you spiritually and professionally.

Psalms 8:1, " O LORD our Lord, how excellent is thy name in all the earth!  Who hast set thy glory above the heavens."

When we are in the midst of planning and setting our goals we must keep in mind that God's name is excellent. The word "excellent" is defined as possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good.  Even God's name and everything He does is characterized by excellence.  Likewise, our names and everything we do should also be characterized by excellence.

Psalms 19:1, "...The heavens declare the glory of God; and the firmament sheweth his handywork."

As we adopt and embrace the concept of excellence in our lives it will also be reflective in all of our plans and endeavors even as everything God has created declares and reflects His glory, which denotes excellence, honor, wealth, majesty, and renown.  Therefore, whatever you do should be marked by the highest level of quality and excellence, which is a reflection of who you are, and the standards you've set.

The following keys will help you in your quest to implement your personal goals clearly:

1) Create a Master Checklist of your top-10 goals that are in alignment with your core values.
2) State the "reasons" and "benefits" involved with each goal.
3) Prioritize your goals from the highest level of importance.
4) Set a realistic time frame for accomplishing each of your goals.
5) Create your own Picture Book with photos from magazines, brochures, postcards, etc., that are relective of your goals.
6) Develop a "Mastermind Group" of successful individuals who can inspire you, contribute to your personal success, and help sharpen you. These are people who have already accomplished what you are endeavoring to do.
7) Set aside a day each week to review and reflect upon your goals.
8) Measure your progress weekly.

For instance, you'll want to create a Master Checklist that includes your financial goals, and be specific about what you desire to earn in the next 12-months, 3, 5,10, and 20-years. Find a wealthy mentor to advise you. State the reason for your goal. For example, "I will be debt-free by December 2012". Be sure to use your Picture Book to visualize what you'll look like as a debt-free person, and how refreshed and relieved you'll be. Your goals may be spiritual, educational, financial, relational, to buy a home or car, but you must formulate a plan, implement it, and stay focused in order to make your goals a reality.

Quick Tips:

* Know what God's Word says about it in the Bible
   * Write your goal down
   * Surround yourself with successful people
   * Visualize it
   * Implement it

Key: You Have to See It Before You See It In Order to See It!

Habakkuk 2:2, "And the LORD answered me, and said, Write the vision, and make it plain upon tables, that he may run that readeth it."

We welcome you to leave your comments on our blog.  Thank you.

If this website has been a blessing to you please consider making a donation on our contributions page to help continue making this ministry possible. Thank you so much for your faithful support.

© Copyright 2011 MPowering Lives International. All Rights Reserved.

21 Comments to Setting Goals with Excellence!:

Dr. Stanley D. Williams on Monday, June 27, 2011 7:35 PM
The word excellent is found in scripture 34 times but for our purposes we will evaluate it from the first mention principle. “The law of first mention may be said to be the principle that requires one to go to that portion of the Scriptures where a doctrine is mentioned for the first time and to study the first occurrence of the same in order to get the fundamental inherent meaning of that doctrine.” From its first mention the word excellent meant beauty, splendor, glory, rank or is renowned. Esther 1:4, "When he shewed the riches of his glorious kingdom and the honour of his excellent majesty many days, even an hundred and fourscore days." The second mention of the same word meant “to be great”, this suggest that excellence is an attribute of greatness, outstanding performance and focus. Job 37:23, "Touching the Almighty, we cannot find him out: he is excellent in power, and in judgment, and in plenty of justice: he will not afflict." As we look at Job 37:23 we see that God is excellent, has perfect judgment and is a person who understands both justice and equity. These same qualities that are found in God our maker should also be found in each believer in Christ Jesus. We should be goal setter, milestone achievers, giant killers and visionaries. However, in order to be excellent one must know how to set goals and stay on track until each goal is accomplished. God is a goal setter He spent 5 days developing an action plan, 1 day putting an agent in place to help Him carry it out, and finally 1 day evaluating everything that He had done. His final evaluation of His plan was summed up in the following statement “this is very good”. Dr. Bethtina Williams states that excellence is exhibited by the following qualities “The word "excellent" is defined as possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good. Everything God does is characterized by a mark of excellence”. She exemplifies superior knowledge of this subject and has developed an outstanding blog the will benefit the body of Christ greatly. Furthermore, she has established for her followers a set of action steps that will most definitely lead of superior goal achievement. I commend you Dr. Bethtina for your excellent spirit.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:10 PM
Dr. Stanley your comments are as prolific as you are. Wow! I absolutely love everything about your post, especially the way that you described the excellency of God via the law of first mention, and then shared how He "developed" an action plan in 5-days, then spent 1-day putting an agent in place (on the earth), and on the final day how He "evaluated" what He had done and said, "this is very good." Thank you for your comments and faithfulness.

Marsha Wilson on Monday, June 27, 2011 9:14 PM
Wow! I believe the practical break down of the steps to achieving ones goals, and especially the idea of stating the reasons and benefits of each goal as well as having a Picture Book to visualize as a reminder, very good tools. I feel the importance of stating the "reason and benefit", in my opinion, would allow me to actually see if it is necessary, realistic, and reasonable. That way I can quickly eliminate what could potentially be a waste of time. God bless you!

Dr Bethtina Williams on Tuesday, June 28, 2011 12:13 PM
Marsha, I am glad that you are finding the weekly blog post to be beneficial to you. I'm especially glad to know that you are able to utilize the principles shared as practical tools to assist you in setting and achieving your personal goals. Thank you for your comment.

Vickie Williams on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 6:51 AM
Thank you Dr. Beth for sharing with us this great segment on Setting Goals with Excellency. A great example of setting goals with excellency is when David slew the giant. At a young age, David set a goal and pursued that goal with expectancy of a great outcome which was one of the causes for him to have "good success" throughout his life. As you shared with us to write down our goals, I believe this goal was written down on the tables of David's heart. David made this decision to destroy the giant then he set goals on how to get it accomplished (i.e, he stopped along the way and picked up the stones). His goals were sensible, harmonious, achievable, realistic and precise. David never lost sight of why he set this goal to destroy the giant- nothing could stop him from pursuing the goal he set. David pursued his goal with anticipation and expectancy. I believe it is of great importance that we do likewise in our personal lives and we should keep this thought in mind- "Is there not a cause?"

Dr. Bethtina Williams on Wednesday, June 29, 2011 10:41 AM
Vickie,thank you for your comments. They are very insightful and powerful. I especially like your example of David's expectation of a "great outcome." We should be in expectation of a great outcome as we set our goals with excellence also.

Travis Mimms on Thursday, June 30, 2011 10:33 AM
This blog is done with excellence and the steps are very easy to follow. It brings to light the concept "As a man thinks so is he." I never thought to create a photo book of magazine cut-outs etc., but this is an effective way to stay focused on our goals and visualize our future selves. The future belongs to those who plan for it today... And as for surrounding myself with successful people, I'm glad you are my friend!

Dr. Bethtina Williams on Thursday, June 30, 2011 6:17 PM
Travis, thank you for the complement. Your insight regarding the Bible passage from Proverbs 23:7, is truly amazing. It can be clearly seen how creating a picture book correlates with how you see yourself and what you desire to accomplish. I'm glad that I provided some insight that can assist you in achieving your personal dreams and goals in life. God bless you.

Trace Fields on Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:42 PM
Travis I too thought the picture book was an excellent way to revisit the goals we are trying to reach. It helps keep them in view and not just mere thoughts.

Toiya Moffatt on Friday, July 01, 2011 5:11 AM
Even as we stare into the word we should be reflections of it because we are to be reflections of Christ in the earth. Therefore in order to know what you are becoming you must be able to see if you have taken on the characteristics, change, resemblance of that idea, thought or new perception of yourself. God being Alpha and Omega is able to see the end from the beginning but has in the book of Genesis acknowledged his Word first. Word is expressed thought that has or is soon to come to past. In viewing this more closely this means that God had to not only think on a matter but had to think it into completion, attending to detail before it could render the results he desired as both Dr.Beth Williams and Dr. Stan Williams have both mentioned,in excellence. As the word of God shows us before you can get excellent results you must first have a excellent thought in writing, in other words a thoroughly organized vision. Thank you Dr.Beth for posting this blog.

Dr. Bethtina Williams on Friday, July 01, 2011 12:54 PM
Toiya, I enjoyed your statements in regards to becoming a reflection of the "characteristics, change and resemblance" of your ideas. While ideas and thoughts are words that are yet unspoken, when they are reflected in our lives they reveal who we really are. Therefore, when we set our minds on things that are excellent in nature, our thoughts can be transformed into plans and goals will reflect excellence, and we will "get excellent results", especially when we write them down and speak them into existance. Whenever our words, plans and goals don't reflect the spirit of excellence, we should change the way we think and take on the thoughts and ideas of Christ by the Word of God. Then we'll see great results, and manifest the glory of God in the world. Be encouraged Toiya. You are powerful beyond belief!

Denise Williams on Friday, July 01, 2011 1:54 PM
I think the tools that you have given us will insure sucess in every area of our lives. Although simple to implacate because they are very practical, these few steps I feel can get any one started on the road to thier destiny. Thank you Pastor for sharing.

Dr. Bethtina Williams on Friday, July 01, 2011 4:42 PM
Denise, Thank you for your comments on this week's blog post. I certainly am glad to know that you can use it because of it's practicality and simplicity. You are welcome to join me each week as I share insights that are designed to help sharpen you spiritually and professionally. God bless you.

Jonathan Williams on Friday, July 01, 2011 5:52 PM
The Lord is moving through you, in order to share with us these tools which you implemented in your life that led to your success, so we can reflect on them and study an example on how we should structure ourselves in order to follow in your footsteps. As you explained to me how you implemented these tools while you were in study during your years of college, I will do the same in order to present and carry myself as a sharp individual both spiritually and professionally in my walk with God. Continue to share what God has placed on your heart.

Dr. Bethtina Williams on Friday, July 01, 2011 5:57 PM
Dear Jonathan, How precious and encouraging your words are to read. Just to know that you are watching and listening is a tremendous blessing to me. I am so glad to know that you can see how this week's blog can enhance your life, scholastic and career endeavors. Keep up the good work and I look forward to hearing from you again. May God bless you my son.

Trace Fields on Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:39 PM
While setting goals is the easiest portion I believe that staying focused is the more difficult thing for me. It is easy to get distracted by life in general. When things don't go according to plans it is easy to give up. The tools you have given will help to stay focused and cast out the distractions that come to get me off course. You mentioned that we should know what the word of God says about our goals. With that in mind, if I know that The goals I've set is also Gods plan for me then I can seek him for help when it seems as if things are going as planned. Focus on Gods will and purpose for my life helps me keep focused on my goals that are in alignment with his will for me.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Saturday, July 02, 2011 1:47 PM
Tracie, It's good to know that you can see how this week's blog post can help you to remain focused and on track with the goals that you have set. Setting and achieving our goals brings a sense of accomplishment and satisfacation to our hearts. Preparation, alignment, and focus enable us to bring them to pass with excellence. Thank you for joining the conversation this week. You are a great woman of God!

Candice Mimms on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 8:28 AM
I believe this week's blog is very important to grasp. It's amazing how we can get off track if we don't do something as simple as writing down our goals. I can remember when I was younger my teacher would have us do assignments that helped us think outside the box. Likewise, the tips and keys for this week really helped me think outside my own box. I noticed the key of prioritizing goals will enable me to actually accomplish them. The saying "work smarter and not harder" came to my mind. This week's blog gave me a strategy for achieving my short-term and long-term goals in a more effective and productive way.

Dr Bethtina Williams on Wednesday, July 06, 2011 11:33 AM
Candice, Thank you for your comments. It's wonderful to know that you can see how this week's blog post can assist you in "thinking out of the box" in "working smarter, not harder" via the strategies set forth. Have a joyous and successful journey.

wizy na białoruś on Sunday, July 06, 2014 11:15 AM
into membership basic safety things to consider tutorial in no way value to help you yourself to experiment Nice strong kennel area plan is merely accomplish bargain option

strony internetowe on Saturday, September 12, 2015 2:51 PM
The room has also to pinpoint a casino shoe cabinet In companion - coping with the whole process